Andrea: You suck, you need to write on your blog more often.
Me: What are you talking about? I just wrote on it last Sunday. I think that's pretty good.
Andrea: You're living in a foreign country, that means you should have adventures to write about every day.
Me: Yeah, that's true, which also means that I'm too busy to write on my blog every day.
Yes, I realize this is my second blog post today and my sister Andrea is probably the only person who wants to hear from me this much but hey...it's been a nice and relaxing Sunday and I've just had the urge to write.
About two months ago I was hanging out at my sister Andrea's house (Aka the closest thing I have to a home) and I contemplated what I should call my new blog where I would post stories of my summer adventures in Thailand and Brazil. Being a very right brained person and lacking in the creativity department I could come up with nothing. I asked Andrea for her help but apparently my blog doesn't merit the creative thought that she puts into her own...she was useless.
So, I decided I would wait to name my blog--for the time being it would be named, Yet to be Determined. Very creative and original I know. Then it occurred to me. It was the perfect title to describe my life right now--Yet to be determined. I have no idea what is going on with my life right now.
Like I said, I'm a very right brained person, I like to plan, I've carried a planner around with me in my pocket since my freshman year of high school. When I'm bored and need something to occupy my mind I plan my life. I planned on doing development work in Africa and I did. I planned on graduating from BYU's business program and I did. I planned on traveling the world and I have. I planned on going on a mission and I did that too.
To be honest though the one thing I never really planned on was graduating from college and still being single. Not because I was desperate to get married or felt that I needed to be married to legitimize my life...I just figured that would be the natural course of life: Go on a mission, come home, get married, and then I would graduate. Thus, I hesitated to make plans regarding my career--that would be something that would need to be decided between my husband and I. We would come up with a plan for that together.
Obviously that didn't happen and now here I am sitting here in Thailand wondering what will become of my life. Everyone at work wants me to stay here and work for the long term, honestly more often than not I think that would be a great idea. Life here is great, everything I could have ever hoped for. I think I could be content to stay here for the long term even though I would probably miss my family every once in a while. If I were into living for just the here and now I would probably stay, but over the long run I know that staying here probably wouldn't get me where I really want to be in my life.
So, I'll probably go home in August, hang out with my family for a little bit, and then start my job as a financial planner with Heritage Financial in Salt Lake. (There I go with the planning again. I love it!) I have no idea where my life is going to go from there. I'm not even going to try and guess. I could see myself settling down eventually and having a family but I could just as easily see myself going for the career path and focusing on becoming one of the best in my field. Honestly, I would choose the first path but at this point I just feel like I'm along for the ride. That is why my life is "yet to be determined" I'm just trying to do the best I can to keep my options open where ever life takes me--no matter where life takes me I'm determined to continue living it to the fullest as I feel I have up to this point.
While we are kinda on the subject can I just share a little pet peeve with you? Why are boys so stupid? Do you know how many times I've been told that boys are intimidated by girls in the business school? Seriously?!? I have this friend Brigham here in Thailand and he told me how he would never want to date a girl who is better off than him. Why not? "Because it's a guys job to take care of the girl." So what? Are us business women or any other intellectually minded and ambitious women supposed to dumb it down and pretend to be naive and helpless so that some man can come along and pretend to be our hero who was meant to save us from ourselves? Seriously!!
Ok, that's my little soap box.
The point of this whole post is that so much of my life is yet to be determined. It's kind of an intimidating thought but mostly it's just exciting. These next few years are going to be fun no matter what they bring. I can't wait to see what that is.
Never dumb yourself down. Never worry about boys who are too insecure to date pure awesomeness. Always post on your blog. Always be open to new paths. Always come home to me. -Anj
ReplyDelete