Today was my first day at the factory here in Suphan. Pan, one of the workers here was my tour guide for the day. Pan just got back from going to college at Washington state which means we were able to have conversations and she actually understood what I was talking about. Amazing!! I didn’t realize how much I miss that. Ok, not really that much because I basically live with an American family but at work it’s a whole different story (don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love the girls I work with and we have a blast with our limited communication skills).
The factory is pretty cool. I’ve never been inside an actual manufacturing factory before so it was an all new experience for me. I got to watch the whole process from start to finish on several of their different products lines: Vegetable salads (like stir fry), Pineapple, baby corn, etc. Pretty cool.
For lunch Pan and I went to this really cool place. Basically you have a hot plate in the middle of your table and they put a pot of boiling broth on it. Then you order whatever ingredients you want… we went with this chinese leafy stuff, lettuce, marinated beef, pork wrapped in sea weed, tofu, baby corn, celery, and some other stuff. Then you throw it all in the pot let it cook for a few min and eat it. Sounds weird but it was actually pretty good.
We also had roasted duck and some crunchy pork on the side. I used to hate pork and I would do anything I could to avoid it, since I’ve gotten to Thailand though I’ve actually learned to like it. You see, here in Thailand they have A LOT of seafood and I really really don’t like seafood. Pork is the next common meat of choice so I told myself if I was going to refuse to eat the seafood (I haven’t actually refused to eat it, if it’s put in front of me I’ll eat it) then I would suck it up and learn to like the pork. So, I have.
As for the Duck, it actually tasted just like Turkey with only a slightly different texture, not bad at all. I still had a hard time with it though because I couldn’t help imagining Beth’s poor little pet ducks back home.
The rest of the day was pretty much more of the same; lots of fun being with Pan and being shown around the factory. So, that’s pretty much day two in Suphan.
No comments:
Post a Comment