
So Friday during a slow moment at the booth the girls started asking me what I was going to do over the weekend. Really I had no idea. Originally I was going to take a customer up to the plant in Supan Buri but that would have meant missing out on Dad Pinvises' birthday so I didn't go. (They had a few people going already anyway so they really didn't NEED me) I still had most of Saturday open though. After some quick research Thursday night I figured I would go to the Grand Palace. "Who will you go with" the girls at work asked. The Pinvises' were all busy so I figured I would just go by myself. Let's be honest, I really enjoy going on adventures by myself sometimes. Then Fon, one of my coworkers meekly asked, "Can I go with you?" As much as I enjoy going on my own adventures I was even happier to make a new friend at work and I was excited to be shown the temples by a local and practicing Buddhist.
On Saturday Fon and I met in front of our work bright and early. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Fon's parents had come along as well.
The first place we went was the Grand Palace or the official residence of the kings of Thailand from the 18th century onwards. Construction of the palace began in 1782 during the reign of King Rama I.
When we got there I had to rent a Thai skirt because apparently my knee lengthed shorts were immodest (not by normal standards just by entering the temple standards). It was fun to wear the silk skirt around but man was it hot!
One of the main attractions at the palace is the temple with the emerald Buddha. It was actually a lot smaller than I thought but pretty cool none the less. They wouldn't let you take pictures inside that temple so I don't have any pictures of him.
The rest of the palace grounds were just a bunch of really cool buildings. The art work and detail were amazing! I could have spent all day there just looking at it but we had a lot of places we want to see so we didn't have much time to dedicate to any one place.



After the grand palace we went to Wat Pho or the temple of the reclining Buddha. Before we went inside the temple there was this alter type thing with a little Buddha that people were praying to. I sat there and watched as Fon and her mom lit a candle and placed it in front of the alter. They then kneeled and prayed, sticks of incense and a single locust pressed in between their hands. Next they stood and pressed a small piece of gold foil to the Buddha as they told him of their needs and desires. It was a very peaceful experience sitting there watching them worship. As I sat and watched them I meditated on my own beliefs and thought of the similarities among all the world’s religions.















No comments:
Post a Comment