I can't help contrasting my experience here in Thailand so far with my experience last summer in Uganda. My room in and of it's self is about three quarters the size of our whole house last summer and last summer we had over 20 people living in our house at once. This morning when I woke up all I heard was silence. The kids quickly got ready and left for school, Lynette (the mom) left for work and I was left in the large house by myself; you could have heard a pin drop. This was a stark contrast from mornings in Uganda with 20 people vying for table space, bathroom time, and Ashley's small plastic mirror which was the only mirror in the house. Most mornings we didn't even bother looking in it.
When I got here I thought I would take a couple of days to settle in but with the kids gone and my bags already unpacked (I'm already wishing I had brought more clothes all though I'm sure I'll be glad I didn't when it comes time to pack to go home) I figured I mind as well go to work. Instead of riding a boda (motorcycle taxi) with red dirt getting blown all over my face, or a mini bus taxi stuffed way beyond it's capacity of 11, with chickens constantly pecking at your feet; this morning I got a ride to work in Thienchai's (the dad) brand new Mercedes Benz. Then when I wanted to come home early because the jet lag had gotten the best of me a driver brought me home in the company van which was decked out like a limo on the inside. Even the cell phone which they had waiting for me when I got here is way better than any cell phone I've ever had in the states (probably because I've never cared to have a super nice one.)
It's hard to justify living like this after the experience I had last summer in Uganda. Part of me feels like a sell out for choosing this over going off and doing more development work. I was just reading this book called the Blue Sweater though which is about this women's experiences as she did development work in Africa and other parts of the world. In there she made a comment about having to come to terms with the fact that while we do everything we can to try and help those who are less fortunate we must come to terms with who we are and the blessings we have received in this life. We shouldn't forsake them just because other's have not received the same blessings. I thought she made a good point.
Anyway, work today was good. When I walked in everyone clapped their hands together as if to pray and made a little bow. I don't know if they do that for everyone or if it's just because I walked in with the boss. It made me want to learn more about the culture and the people though. After being served some hot chocolate (because I don't drink coffee or tea) (it kinda reminded me of China where they would serve us hot water because we didn't drink coffee or tea, why would you want a hot drink when it's already so hot outside?) and some cake Thienchai's assistant, Mam, showed me around the office and introduced me to everyone. I am never going to remember all those names!
After being shown around I met with Thienchai's younger brother who is over the Marketing department (where I will be working this summer). He asked me what my long term goals were at Agro-on. I didn't really know how to respond since I'm only here until August. Then he told me about what he was looking for...basically someone who loves the company and is dedicated enough to maybe help lead the company one day. I wondered if he knew I was only planning on being here until August. Then he told me about this food fair they are having in Germany in October and told me he would like it if I could go. Finally I explained to him that as of right now the plan is to head home in August but that I am open to discussing other options at a later date. He said that was fine but man after hearing about that food fair in Germany in October I really am tempted to stay, even if it where just until Christmas. Especially since my boss back in the states told me I could pretty much start working whenever I want. There's another food fair in Australia in October as well. Maybe I could talk him letting me go to that one too.
As part of my training they want to send me to the places where the food is grown and processed. One week in the factories just an hour and half northwest of here and another week up north by Chiang Rai. I'm super excited about that one because I really wanted to go there anyway and I have some friends living up there this summer. I think I'll be leaving for the first city the beginning of next week.
The rest of the day was pretty uneventful. I hadn't thought to take my laptop in and they didn't have a computer for me to work on, plus they really didn't have much for me to do anyway. I stuck around until lunch with Thienchai's brother and a few of the other managers of the company and then I decided I mind as well come home and let the jet lag overcome me. I probably shouldn't have but I couldn't resist.
So, it's been a good day and I am really excited to see what this summer holds for me. Great things are going to happen! I can feel it.
I am already so jealous and you haven't even been there a day! Work sounds like it is going to be pretty cool! Make sure to send pics. If you stay for Christmas, I will seriously think about coming over. Maybe you should stay so it will give Jake and I an excuse to come! haha What is the food like? What are the people like? Tell all! Miss you!
ReplyDeletebritt
....if Jesus blessed it....
ReplyDelete