Sunday, July 3, 2011

wrapped in folds of red, he held court cross legged on a bamboo mat



Friday Night 7/1/11

I’m sitting here inside my pretty pink princess mosquito net fortress listening to whatever is going on downstairs and wondering at the randomness and awesomeness that is my life...

I’m spending this weekend at my coworker, Duan’s, house in Suphanburi. I had no idea what to expect coming here and to be honest I was a little bit nervous. I had images of driving to some small cabin in the countryside--I don’t know why, but the whole idea was so new to me I just couldn't imagine anything else. Turns out I was pretty close. Duan has this beautiful cottagesque house in the countryside surrounded by tropical fruit trees and the sounds of frogs and crickets in the night. It even has the soothing smell of wood..mmm…brings back childhood memories of hanging out at my grandpa’s cabin.

There is also a fabulous wooden porch swing on the back patio area. I sat there tonight and tried to have a conversation with Duan’s husband. He speaks maybe 4 words of English and with my equally amazing skills in Thai (FYI: Thai is a really really hard language) we didn’t get very far. It was a good attempt though. He tried to explain something to me about the wood he had made the swing out of but all I understood was cow which makes no sense to me since the swing was obviously wood. We also had a conversation about my earrings. I don’t think he understood anything I said. After a few minutes we both gave up and kinda went our own separate ways. Super nice guy though, I only wish I could talk to him…or anyone else besides Duan for that matter. She also has this adorable eight year old daughter who I think I could have a lot of fun with if we could communicate.

Really it’s just awesome to be here though which brings me back to the randomness and awesomeness that is my life. Tomorrow morning we are going to go to the morning market and then going to watch the monks in training. I don’t really know what that means but I’m excited to find out. Speaking of, I better get to bed. It’s going to be an early day tomorrow. Yay for more adventures.

Saturday 7/2/11

545 AM.
Last night was kinda a rough night. The thin mat on the hard wood floor was surprisingly comfortable so that wasn't the problem. No, the problem was the loud Thai marching music blasting outside my window all night and the rooster that started crowing about an hour ago. I tried to drown it all out with my own headphones. I can usually sleep to my own music but even that wasn't enough to drown it out. Oh well it's going to be an awesome day. I just hope I'm not too tired to enjoy it.

640 AM.
We just got back from the morning market where we got some fresh fruit and other such breakfast necessities along with fresh vegetables and chicken for dinner tonight. As is was standing there watching them chop up our chicken for dinner tonight I couldn't but help think how far I've come since my first days of travel through china. Back then all the smells were so new and so intense that we avoided eating anything that wasn't cooked by our own personal cook who knew how to cook things American style. Even still we longed for the weekend when we could go into the city and buy bags full of McDonalds hamburgers and KFC chicken. Now I just eat whatever is put in front of me and I usually even enjoy it--most of the time atleast.

Breakfast on the back patio.
845 AM
We just got done going to the coronation (for lack of a better word) of some local monks. Wow that was an intense experience. I guess every Buddhist young man has the opportunity when they turn twenty-one to become a monk. Whether it's for a few days, a few weeks, a few months, or for the rest of their lives, they all get the chance to dress in those orange robes and dedicate their lives to their god. The initiation rights are a community celebration and I'm pretty sure everyone from this small community was there. After going to the market this morning Duane and I headed over to the local temple about a block away. The crowds had already started to gather and you could hear the procession loudly making its way towards the temple. With their drums pounding and their trumpets blaring you could feel the noise shake you to the core.

The drums grew louder and louder until finally the first procession entered the temple compound. First the family and friends, then the dancers, followed by the loud band dressed in their florescent orange uniforms, lastly the soon to be monk entered bouncing on the shoulders of a friend or family member. He was protected by the blaring sun by a huge umbrella which someone patiently held over his head. Just as one party passed another would enter each on the same style--Family and friends, dancers, band, soon to be monk. And with each additional party the temple compound the noise became more and more intense.




There were four young men to be initiated. Each of their parties circled the temple three times throwing money and small prizes as they went. Local children weaved their way in and out of the crowd dancing and laughing hoping to catch some of the loot.

As the first would be monk finished his three turns around the temple his procession stopped. The front of the procession entered the temple bearing gifts such as soap and toilet paper and other such things. I can only assume these are to be used by the "pledge" during his time as a monk. As they place their gifts in the temple the rest of the procession waits outside as the pledge prays to the statue in front of the temple alternating between a kneeling and standing position. After his prayers are done he is picked up by his family laying flat on his back, lady of shallot style, and carried into the temple touching the top of the frame of the door as he passes.




One by one the pledges entered the temple in their white robes until finally the last one was gone. Just like that the party was over and the crowed dispersed leaving the newest town monks to change into the orange robes that will become their sole piece of clothing for as long as they choose to devote their lives to God. Just like that the temple returns to the quite serene place of meditation and solitude that it was meant to be. Just like that four young average boys become monks--the wise men of the Buddhist religion.

107 PM
We just hiked to the top of this mountain to see Buddhas footprint. I had hopes of it being an actual footprint (Illogical I know, Buddha was from India), that would be cool. It wasn't though it was just a big footprint made out of stone. Still pretty cool and the hike was beautiful (and hopefully helped me burn off all that extra food I ate for breakfast)

Before this temple we went to this other one that is shaped like a boat built on this huge artificial pond. The artistry was beautiful. At the church there--I tried to have Duan explain to me what the difference is between a church and a temple and she just said every temple must have a church--so at the church they had all these paintings and statues of what hell is like. I've seen them at temples before but it never gets any less shocking. The graphic nature of the material is something that would probably never be shown in public in the states, let alone in a church. Then again I've seen some pretty graphic and gruesome depictions of Christ on the cross so maybe they would. I've included some of more mild (yes these are more mild) depictions of what the art was like. Just to give you a glimpse into their culture and beliefs.



620 PM
We spent the afternoon hanging out with Duan's family. So much fun!! You could just tell everyone was so excited to be together and having so much fun. It was like being at a family reunion but oh so much better because I wasn't expected to have anything to add to the conversation. We met up at someones sister uncles cousins house or something like that for lunch. For dessert we had coconut ice cream sandwiches--and when I say ice cream sandwiches I mean scoops of ice cream served up on a hot dog bun--interesting but actually not all that bad. After that we decided to go visit the dam not so far away and then go for a nice little swim at a nearby river. Only problem was that I hadn't brought a swimsuit--No problem, we just hopped on their scooter with the awesome side bench attachment and rode over to the local market for an extra pair of shorts, a t-shirt, and some...ahem...unmentionables. 10 min and 6 bucks later I was good to go.



The dam was a pretty view but other than that not much of anything to do so after a few minutes we decided to head to the river. We spent hours there just playing in the water and basking in the sun. It was the perfect end to the perfect afternoon.


Sunday 7/3/11
1017 AM
Mmm, laying on the back porch swing with a full tummy, listening to Joshua Radin, watching the clouds pass; really, could anyone ask for anything more from a lazy summer morning? I think not. Thus far this weekend has been the perfect mix of adventure and relaxation

Driving Home
Today was election day so I went with Duan and her husband while they went to go vote. The whole process was rather quick. The polls were stationed I'm some random tent in the middle of a random field. I thought that was interesting.. After going to vote we went to this temple real nearby. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera on me because I didn't know we would be going anywhere else. It's a shame too because there was this old school Buddha carved out of sandstone. With the backdrop of the jungle behind it it looked really really cool.

At the same place there was this Buddha built back inside a cave and there next to him there was this cement bust of a man. I took a double take when I first saw him because to me he looked just like Christ. I was mesmerized and confused. I stood there staring at it until Duan called me to move on. I have no idea who he was supposed to be but he certainly wasn't Buddha and he wasn't a monk so I'm just going to choose to believe that there is this random cave in Thailand where Christ and Buddha are hanging out together.

The rest of the afternoon was spent visiting other small local temples with Duan's whole family. None of the temples left the same impression in me as the first but they were all pretty cool. A lot of pretty jungle mountain roads too.

We had just finished at the last temple when the rain started pouring down so we decided to just go back to Duan's place and relax till dinner. I went back to my spot at the back porch and cozelled up with some Jane Austin and my iPod just enjoying the sound of the rain falling around me. It was the perfect ending to the perfect trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment