Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Chiang Rai Day 1

July 25th, 2011
7:43 pm

My bus just left the station for Chiang Rai. The bus is decent, the seats recline and there are foot rests, what more do you need? The bus is probably only about a quarter of the way full and I'm pretty sure I'm the only foreigner on it. We will be driving all night, hopefully arriving in Chiang Rai late enough for me to check into my hostel. If not hopefully I can just drop my stuff off at the HELP home where ever that is. It's a good thing I have a cell phone :)

They even serve dinner on the bus or at least some snacks I guess. I'm not really sure what it is but it looks like some chicken flavored peanuts, some green pudding stuff, chocolate soy milk, some other small snacks, and a small bottled water. None of it looks very appetizing but it  makes me feel like I'm getting more value for my sixteen dollar bus ticket.

It feels good to be out on my own and to be getting out of the city. Bangkok is fun, there's lots to do, but I need to get away from the traffic and all the buildings. Then again I dont really know what Chiang Rai is like. I hear it is more rural but who knows what that means. At least I know it's smaller than Chiang Mai. We'll see, but I could really go for some small town living right now. 

I don't even know how long I'll be stay in Chiang Rai. I may or may not go to Chiang Mai too. Or, I may just go to  Laos. It kinda depends if Ariel and I really are going to Cambodia next week. We are planning to go see Angkor Wat and them go stalk her brother down who is serving a mission there. We've gotten her moms approval but I dont think her dad knows anything about it yet and he's the one whose gonna get the final say. Either way I've gotta leave the country by August 8th in order to renew my visa so it's either Laos or Cambodia. I know I'll hit them both up eventually anyway so I'm not too worried about it.

Tuesday, July 26th
10:15 am

I made it to my hostel safe and sound. The bus ride wasn't too bad other than the AC that was dripping on me and my stuff all night. My thin blanket was literally drenched. Luckily there was no one sitting next to me so I could curl up to the side and for the most part avoid the splatter. As for my bag I just put it's rain cover on and didn't worry about it.
The hostel seems pretty decent--I've stayed in better and I've stayed in worse but at a little over two dollars a night I'm not complaining. I was supposed to get my own room which would have cost me a whopping three fifty a night but they 'forgot' I was coming so I'm in a room with four other beds even though I think it's just me and some other guy staying in it. I haven't talked to him yet but he looks like my back door neighbor best friend growing up so that's comforting.

I have no idea what I'm doing today. The hostel has scooters you can rent for the whole day for like nine bucks so I might just do that although I'm a little bit scared seeing as how last time I drove a scooter in Thailand I got hit by a minibus. I'm hoping Hudson calls me back in a little bit and I can just go chill with the HELP team for the day but well see.

My Room for 2 Dollars a Night

So today I did end up renting the scooter and riding it around. The first thing I did was head for the hills. I would love to tell you all about it but there is this annoying old man who won't stop talking to me so I'm just posting these pics and I'll try and tell you more about it later. 








No comments:

Post a Comment