Sunday, June 26, 2011

It's official

There's not a whole lot new to report this week. Just an average awesome week of work and hanging out with the fam--Laughing with my co-workers about the cute guy in IT, eating coconut ice-cream, chilling by the pool, going to awesome restaurants overlooking the river--you know those sorts of things.

I did finally change my plane ticket, I am now officially coming home on October 12th. I doubt I'll be changing it again since it's not exactly cheap so that should be the final agenda. I've also come up with a tentative travel plan which includes visits to Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines. I would be lying if I said I weren't the least bit worried about it. Yes, I've done lots of backpacking and traveling, I know how to watch my back and be careful, but I've never done it on my own. I've always had at least one other person right there beside me to lend support when things happen--like getting stranded in the Bangkok airport with no money left to our names, or almost getting sold into prostitution in China, or getting into a car accident on a dark jungle road in Costa Rica, or getting robbed at knife point in Brasil, or almost getting arrested under suspicion of being terrorists in Uganda--I've always had someone beside me when those sorts of things happen. This time though...this time I'll be doing it all on my own, both a liberating and yet frightening idea.

Today at church though I was talking to this guy from the Phillipines and he was telling me about how he would hook me up with all his friends in his stake back home and how they would show me the best islands to go to and all the cool things to do. It reminded me that no matter where I go I'll always have church members around. That's at least a little bit comforting.

Maybe I take the term act in faith not in fear to the extreme but I've always refused to let fear hold me back from doing anything. I'm certainly not going to let it get the best of me on this one. Not when I have the opportunity of a lifetime!

1 comment: