Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Chiang Rai Day 2

Wow, today was an interesting/intense/awesome day. I woke up this morning having no idea what I was going to do, I thought maybe if I went and sat in the commons area (for lack of a better term) I might be able to tag along with someone else on one of their adventures. Then creepy old man came up and started talk to me, you know, the one who wouldn’t stop talking last night so that I couldn’t get any writing done on my blog at all? Yeah, him. Yesterday he was telling me about these cool waterfalls and hot springs you could go to. Don’t ask me why you would ever want to go to hot springs in Thailand but the waterfall sounded pretty cool. He was trying to explain to me how to get there but he mind as well have been speaking a foreign language to me. It made no sense. So, instead he offered to take me. I somewhat reluctantly agreed. I mean, he seemed harmless enough other than the fact that he must be like 50 and he's bumming around Thailand hanging out with college girls. 

The road out to the waterfall was amazing! Kinda reminded me of Guilin China with limestone mountains rising out of the jungle. We were on our way to the falls when we decided to take a little detour. We ended up at this cool little village on the hillside. 

We ran into this random guy who had just sliced his arm open with a knife. I just so happened to have some cotton swabs and rubbing alcohol on me which I had bought earlier in the day to try and clean up my leg. Lynn decided to play doctor (he actually really is a nurses assistant I think) It was something small and insignificant but it was just an interesting interaction with the natives. He seemed pretty happy to get some real treatment. Before he had just taped it up with some electrical tape and put a turnicat on his arm to stop the bleeding. That could have ended badly. 
After the village we went in search of the bridge which we had heard crossed the river at some point. We had been driving along to river for hours and there was all sorts of cool stuff on the other side but we could never figure out how to get over there. The bridge wasn't quite what we expected though. Turns out it was just a small suspension bridge barely big enough to fit our motorbikes. Every once in a while there were huge gaps where wood planks had fallen out. We had to be careful to ride along the support beams underneath so that our tires wouldn't fall through. 




Once we got to the other side though we realized it was just more winding road through the jungle. As fun as that sounded it was unbearably hot and so we decided to turn around and head back towards the waterfall.





The waterfall was just what we needed after spending all day in the swealtering sun. We swam for a little bit and then we came back home. It was a pretty awesome day all in all. I'm glad old creepy man was nice enough to take me...even if I STILL think he is old and creepy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment