Tuesday, June 14, 2011

100 and 1 things I love about Thailand


There are so many things I love about Thailand so I'm going to start making a list which I will add to as time goes on. They won't be in any specific order since I'll just be listing them as I go along but here goes...Let's see if I can actually get to 101.

101: Coconut ice cream trucks
Ok, so it's kinda like a normal ice cream truck which isn't all that exciting but this one is oh so much better. Instead of young children chasing it down the street adults run out of their offices just to get a taste of the delicious yummyness. Such was my experience today in the sometimes dull hours between lunch and 5:00. Imagine my surprise as I walked out to the truck which was surrounded by professionals in their work attire. To find them scooping small scoops of delectible coconut icecream right inside the coconut shell, complete with chunks of fresh coconut on top (slimier than you would think). I really wished I had had my camera on me. Maybe I'll have to start taking it to work.

100: Spending 60 baht on lunch is splurging
60 baht is about the equivalent of 2 USD. Yesterday I spent 50 baht on lunch (1.66 USD) and that included a large plate of rice and chicken, some soup, and a bottled water.

99: Parking
When there isn't enough parking people just parallel park behind those cars that are already parked perpendicular to the curb. They just leave their car in neutral so that if anyone needs to get out they can just push the car that is parallel parked behind them out of the way.

98: Lot Chang
I was told that there is not spelling in English for that so I just made it up. That's how it sounds to me. Anyway, lot chang is the really weird and yet oh so good dessert that I had at lunch today. (Yes, my meal only cost me 50 baht with dessert included :) ) It's made out of these green noodles which I guess are made out of tapioca and, what tasted like to me, a hint of jasmine. Actually I don't even know if you would call them noodles, they kinda look like lumpy green worms and have what I assume is about the same texture. Extra slimy ...mmmm Anyway they serve them in this soup of coconut milk and ice. It sounds so weird but it's actually really good!
97. Monitors on the side of the Road
No, I'm not talking about old trashy computer monitors that someone was too lazy to take to the dump. I'm talking about those huge lizards that look like Komodo Dragons! The other week we were driving back to the office from a work meeting and I saw one just sitting on the side of the road. It must have been at least 7 feet long, at first I thought it was an alligator or something. Pretty cool!

96. Elephants on the side of the road.
I've heard some complaints from the Thai people about the movie The Hangover 2 because it's supposed to take place in Bangkok and in the movie they show elephants walking down the road right along with traffic. Bangkok isn't really like that. That doesn't mean though that you don't see them occasionally. I've seen a few not including the ones at the elephant camps and tourist sites. The first time I saw one was when we were walking through the market in Suphanburi, there was a little baby elephant and it's owners were trying to get people to buy bananas from them which they could feed to the elephants. I was really tempted but Pan told me not to because it's illegal and we shouldn't support it. Since then I've seen it a few times right here in Bangkok. It seems most the time the Elephants are babies or young teenagers. The owners are always trying to sell fruit to get people to feed it. Seems like there's got to be easier ways to make money, especially legal ways, but I guess it's what they know.

1 comment: