Friday, April 22, 2011

On our way now

I’m on our flight to Goiania right now. Only about another hour until we arrive. Man has it been a pain to get to this point. Last Friday I got an email saying that our flight to Goiania had been changed and instead of having a 10 am arrival time we would have a 6 pm arrival time. That just didn’t work for me because that meant we would have to wait until the next morning to drive to Uberaba which basically meant we would lose 24 hrs. I spent all day on Friday on the phone with the airlines trying to fix it. Finally they were able to find a flight that left at 11:45 and arrived at 1:30 but was leaving from a different airport in Sao Paulo. I figured that was better than nothing and told them to go ahead and book it. They told me I would be getting my confirmation e-mail within 24 hrs. I didn’t so I kept calling them back to make sure it was confirmed. They assured me that it was and that they would send me the email. Finally, after still not receiving the email I called them one more time. This time they told me that my flight had not been booked and I was still due to arrive at 6 pm. I spent all Monday night and Tuesday day on the phone with them again when I should have been moving and studying for my Real Estate final. Finally I got things cleared up about an hour before my final started. The final went alright I feel like the stuff I missed was stuff I would have missed even if I had spent all that time studying anyway. By the time I was done I was just so tense and annoyed I didn’t even enjoy the fact that I was officially done with all my undergrad work. Mostly I was still just stressed about getting everything ready to leave for Brazil.

We left SL at 8 am Wednesday morning, had a 4 hr layover in New York and finally arrived in Sao Paulo this morning at 6 am. Of course they lost one of our suitcases. I was just annoyed because I hadn’t wanted to check it in the first place but they made me because it was overweight. I guess that’s a legit reason but it was only the second time in my life that I’ve had my carryon weighed so I thought I could get away with it. Then they had to go and lose it. I guess I should count myself lucky that the only things in the suitcase were the presents I brought down for the members here in Brazil. It would have been really bad if they had lost our other suitcase since it has ALL of my mom’s and my clothes. We packed everything into one suitcase so that we wouldn’t have to pay as much for extra baggage on our domestic flights which were booked separate from our international one. They told me they would ship my suitcase to Uberaba when they find it so I guess it will all work out anyway.

My mom and I decided to take the bus to Uberaba (my home on the mission) instead of borrowing my friends car. Going by car would definitely be faster but to be honest I’m kinda scared to drive in Brazil, let alone a stick shift. Plus if we take the busses at night then we actually save daylight which is what is most important. Unfortunately that means we won’t be getting to our actual destination until 3 this morning. Uggh I’m so sick of sitting and traveling. It’s never really bothered me before but I think that’s because I’ve never really known what awaited me when I got there. I’ve always been flying towards uncertainty. Now I feel like I’m flying to my long lost home and I want to get there ASAP.

Wanessa my irmiga (A mix between sister and friend) as I’ve decided to affectionately refer to her is waiting for us at the airport in Goiania. She has assured me that she has planned a fun and yet not overly tiring afternoon for us until we have to catch our bus to Uberaba. At first I just wanted to go straight to Uberaba when we landed but the 7:00 bus is our only option. I think I’m glad now, after spending 36 hrs straight either sitting on a plane or in an airport it will be nice to have a break before hopping on a bus for another 8 hrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment