Thursday, August 18, 2011

Philippines: Boracay

Ok, so I don't have much time to write because I'm supposed to go meet some friends in 20 min to go out to my birthday dinner :)

First off I want to give a little shout out to my newest nephew, Andrew James Christensen who was born on Monday night. I know I am destined to be your favorite Auntie! 

I've been hanging out in the Philippines since Tuesday morning and I just have to say that this is definitely one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. I think the thing that has impressed me the most is how unspoiled it is. Take Boracay for example, possibly one of the most famous and popular tourist places in the Philippines and yet to get here you land in a tiny one landing strip airport that's surrounded by jungle on all sides. From there you have to hop on a ferry to get to the actual island of Boracay. For the first 15 minutes of the drive on the island you wonder if you are in the right place, there's only one paved road going through the island and all you see are grass huts or jungle on either side of you. Finally you get to the touristy area, about a mile long strip of pristine white sand beach with western shops, backpacker hang outs, and a few small resorts. Even then, it's not overdone like Mexico or some places in Thailand. It's really nice. 

The hostel I'm staying at may just be one of my favorite hostels of all times. Our room is more like an apartment with six girls living in it, all of whom, like me, are traveling on their own (just to show you that I'm not as crazy as everyone thinks I am). We all hang out together, along with the guys staying at the hostel, as if we've been friends for years--hence the going out to dinner for my birthday tonight. 

Sadly I'm only here until tomorrow. After that I'm heading to the city of Iloilo to hang out with some friends of a friend from my ward in Bangkok. One of them is going to take me camping on a secluded beach for my birthday. I'm kinda stoked for that. I have no idea what to expect but it's gotta be awesome right? 

Anyway, I'll be staying at a members house there in Iloilo until I leave for Borneo and I don't know if I'll have any internet there so if you don't hear from me for the next week or so don't panic. More than likely I'm just fine. 


My first day here we went sailing around the island. It was the coolest thing ever!! I've always wanted to go sailing on a real sail boat. 





Some local kids playing some sort of game on the beach


View from our hostels beach chairs

No comments:

Post a Comment