Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Backpackers are intense

I've noticed something as I've been backpacking around Southeast Asia--Backpackers are intense. They eat breath and live to travel--and to get drunk it seems. It seems like traveling is all they want to do with their lives. Now, contrary to how it might seem, I do not live to travel, I LOVE to travel, but I don't live for it. Honestly, sometimes after a long day of sitting on a crowded bus that takes twice as long as it should to get from point A to point B and wondering where I'm going to spend the night and if there will be cool people to hang out with at my next stop--sometimes on days like that I hate traveling and all I want to do is go to bed and wake up at home in my own bed (this desire is then lessened by the realization that I don't have a home with my own bed in it). But then I get some good rest and wake up in the morning to beautiful sunshine and palm trees and once again I LOVE traveling. Like I said though, it's not what I live for, I live for playing with my nieces and nephews in the back yard and hearing them call out to me "Auntie Corie, come here!" I live for hanging out with my sisters as we eat La Puente chips and salsa and watch chick flicks, I live for hanging out with my lil bro and his friends as we sneak down to the balboa Jetty at all hours of the night, I live for cooking Thai food with Beth and Alex. Mostly I live for the idea that I can make more of myself--Be more than a traveling bum (although I am taking full advantage of it while I can), that I can make a difference in the world--that, that is what I live for. All this traveling stuff,  it's an amazing learning experience that I think will bless me with a global perspective for the rest of my life, but it wouldn't mean anything if I didn't somehow take the experiences I've had and use them to make something of myself.

1 comment:

  1. And you live for friends nights with Clara (: beautifully written Carrie, love you girl!

    ReplyDelete