Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Philippines: Beneath a star-lit sky

Once again I find myself lying here in bed wondering at the AMAZINGNESS that is my life. Today has just been incredible.

Right now I'm  camping with this guy named Alex who I was introduced to by a friend in my ward back in Bangkok. We met up earlier this afternoon at the institute/church and from there began this incredible journey which brings me to where I am now, possibly just one of the most amazing places I have ever been.

From the institute we hopped in a jeepney which is like the equivalent of a public bus but oh so much cooler. They are more something like a limo truck or jeep with two long benches running down the sides in the back. The best part is the crazy way they are painted making them look like something straight out of pimp my ride.

Anyway, the public buses aren't important. From the institute we took the jeepeny  to the docks where we hopped on a ferry to the island of Guiarmes. We stopped along the way to grab a roasted chicken, rice, and some different fruits for dinner and breakfast and then it was back on the road. About a half hour ride out of town we were dropped off. From there it was about a 45 minute hike through the jungle to this tiny little cove. We arrived just in time to watch the sun set over the ocean. The cove actually isn't as secluded as I thought it would be, there's a little village just a few hundred yards down the beach but even there there is no electricity or running water to be found.

As the light began to quickly fade we hurried to set up camp...two tents and of course a hammock because apparently you can't go camping without a hammock. I gotta get me one of those. We built a quick campfire for my sake because what's camping without a campfire? Then sat down to dinner--chicken and rice.  No plates, no utensils, just some empty plastic bags to set our food on and our hands to eat it with. We sat there and ate as the jungle came to life around us and fireflies began floating around our heads. Classic!!

After dinner Alex showed me just how enchanted this place is. We walked down to the water and Alex threw a huge rock into the water. On impact the ocean lit up a bright fluorescent yellow color. At first i thought it was my eyes so I made him do it again. Sure enough the ocean was glowing. I swear it was something straight out of avatar or fern and gully or something. I guess there are these little organisms that live in the water that glow whenever they are disturbed. See?! Pure AMAZINGNESS!!! I tried to get a picture or a video of it but it was too dark and didn't really work.

We spent the rest of the night watching the brilliant stars and just talking about life. It was so good just to talk with someone who has a knowledge of the gospel and sees the world the way I see it (cultural differences aside)! That's one thing I really miss when I travel, being surrounded by people who get that part of me. Obviously I've met lots of really fun great people and it's been a great experience to see life from different perspectives but it just seems like there is always this wall because there is so much of me that they don't understand. It's so interwoven in the fabric of my life and who I am that it is tied to next to anything I would have to say so lots of times I find myself just keeping all my thoughts to myself because I feel like it would be impossible for them to understand where I'm coming from (I've tried explaining myself before but it always seems to just make them more confused and me more frustrated). If I've learned anything this summer it's that we truly are a peculiar people.
Anyway, the best thing was the stars, I've always had a thing for stars are tonight they couldn't have been more perfect.
Seriously, who randomly ends up camping on some tropical paradise beach in the middle of nowhere in the Philippines? This is why I love my life. It seriously doesn't get any cooler than this. Happy Birthday to me :)











No comments:

Post a Comment