I always knew that Thomas was meant to do big things with his life. Ever since he fell down the stairs and broke his neck, the same vertebrae that Christopher Reeves broke. He should have been paralyzed for the rest of his life, especially since I was babysitting and had no idea what was going on. I picked him up and carried him downstairs thinking that he would stop crying with the distraction of the TV. The paramedics were shocked we had moved him, like I said, he should have been paralyzed.
Or, there was that time before that when our Cottonwood Lane house caught on fire. Thomas should have been up in his room asleep which is right where the fire started. He wasn't though, for some reason my mom kept him up late that night. If she hadn't he probably wouldn't have survived.
Heavenly Father has been keeping Thomas alive and mobile for something. Something special. I try to help him see that without letting it go to his head. As his favorite older sister it's my job to keep him humble all while encouraging him and building him up. It's a daunting task, mostly the keeping him humble part. Us Brock's, we've never struggled with self esteem issues. I blame it on my parents. Something about them always telling us how amazing we are and that we are destined to do great things if we are willing to do the work. It's bound to go to a person's head. Thomas can't be blamed, none of us can.
This week Thomas will leave to serve a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Indiana. Today someone asked me if I was sad. I was taken back by the question, why would I be sad? This is everything we have worked for! I can't wait for Thomas to get out there and have this amazing experience. I can't wait to hear stories of the people he's met and the lives he has helped change.
No comments:
Post a Comment