Thursday, April 11, 2013

Bucket List

** = Completed
* = In progress

  1. *Spend a year living in Africa (Collective)
  2. **Go on a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Completed July 2008)
  3. Raise a family in the Church
  4. Ride an Arabian horse in the Arabian desert
  5. See Victoria Falls
  6. **Ride an Elephant (Completed '06, '11)
  7. See the Northern Lights
  8. See a wild killer whale
  9. Swim with dolphins
  10. **Get at least a bachelors degree (Completed April 2011)
  11. Dig a well
  12. Adopt a Child from Africa
  13. Scuba Dive at the Great Barrier Reef
  14. *Visit 80 different countries/territories
  15. **See Angkor Wat (Completed June '06, July '11)
  16. *Read 3,000 books
  17. *Read all the books on the NY times “100 greatest books ever written” list
  18. Become a millionaire
  19. **Go on an African safari (Completed June 2010)
  20. Work for an airline
  21. *Live in 10 different countries for at least 3 mo. each. (not including the USA)
  22. Learn to speak Italian
  23. Learn to cook
  24. Design my own house (pay someone else to build it)

  25. **Put a prayer in the prayer wall (Completed June 2013) 
  26. Get an article published in National Geographic or like magazine
  27. Start or work at a non-profit organization
  28. Climb Mt Kilimanjaro (not necessarily to the top)
  29. *Visit all 50 states
  30. Go Skydiving
  31. **Go bungee jumping (Completed June '06 in Thailand)
  32. Get married in the temple
  33. *Visit 75 different temples
  34. **Read the Quad cover to cover
  35. **Hold a monkey (Completed June '11 in Thailand)
  36. Go on a road trip across the country
  37. Go on a motorcycle road trip
  38. Visit Tonga or Samoa
  39. Visit Prince Edward Island
  40. **Learn to speak a foreign language fluently (Portugues learned '07-'08)
  41. Visit the grand canyon
  42. Live like the poorest of the poor for a week (Mother Theresa)
  43. Fly a plane
  44. Have a dog named Suie (seweee)
  45. Share a kiss at the top of the Eiffel tower
  46. Visit Sudan (Darfur if possible)
  47. **Visit the middle east (Completed June 2013) 
  48. Go on a photo shoot to Vietnam
  49. Be able to run two miles without stopping
  50. See the Dead Vlei (Namibia)
  51. See the Taj Mahal (India)
  52. Explore the Mayan Ruins (Again) (Mexico)
  53. Visit Petra Jordan
  54. **Ride a camel (Completed June 2013) 
  55. Explore the Egyptian pyramids
  56. **See Taman Negra Rainforest (Malaysia) (Completed Sept '11)
  57. Visit Ngorongoro Crater (Tanzania)
  58. See the Himalayas and Nepal
  59. See the Ghats (India)
  60. Produce a Documentary
  61. Make Crum Brulee
  62. Spend a night sleeping in a snow fort
  63. **Eat something that I think I won’t like
  64. Knit a sweater and give it to someone
  65. *Sleep under the stars on every continent (except antartica)
  66. **Go white water rafting down class five rapids (Completed May '10 in Uganda)
  67. **See a giraffe in the wild (Completed June '10 in Uganda)
  68. **Dip my foot in the source of the nile (Completed May '10 in Uganda)
  69. Stand in two hemispheres at once
  70. Go dog sledding
  71. Take an art class
  72. Learn to play the cello
  73. Sew my own formal gown
  74. Take my family on a trip to see the holy lands
  75. Go on a church history tour
  76. **Ride a horse on the beach in Southeast asia (Completed Thailand June '11)
  77.  Hike a volcano
  78. Take a vow of silence for 24 hrs
  79. Read the Book of Mormon from start to finish in 1 week
  80. Go on a roadtrip where the direction at every intersection is chosen by the flip of a coin (once we are already on the freeway)
  81. Sponsor a student from a foreign country through college.
  82. Pay for someone else to serve a mission

  83.  Panhandle on Venice Beach
  84.  **See the Cristos statue in Brasil (Completed April '11)
  85.  **See Iguassu Falls (Completed April '11)
  86. Spend at least a month in the holy lands 
  87. Visit the temple of Zues
  88. Go on a gondola ride in Venice
  89. **Visit Istanbul
  90. Go to the Ellen Degenerous Show
  91. Go camping at Havasupai
  92. Go cliff jumping in Greece
  93. Swim in every ocean
  94. Kiss under the Mistletoe
  95. Learn how to sail
  96. Learn to say "Hello" and "Thank You" in 50 different languages
  97. Go to the Sky Lantern Festival in Thailand
  98. Sleep in a tent (or under the stars) In the Amazon rain forest
  99. Visit the Dome of the Rock
  100. **Go to Dubrovnik, Croatia (Completed May 2013) 
  101. Create a book of family traditions to uphold as a family
  102. **Swim in the dead sea (Completed June 2013) 
  103. Start a scholarship fund for students from developing countries to be able to come to the US to study.
  104. Build a second home called "Forever's End"
  105. **Watch the sun set over Jerusalem (June 2013)

Goal #1 Spend A Year Collectively Living In Africa 
1. (Uganda, May-July 2010)

Goal #2 Serve A Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
Goiania Brasil – Feb 2007 – July 2008

Goal #6 Ride an Elephant
1. Phuket Thailand, June 2006.
2. Ayuttaya Thailand, June 2011
3. Luang Prabang, Laos, July 2011

Goal #14 Visit 80 Different Countries
1. Canada (Summer 1994) When I was ten I think, the family went on a motor home road trip that wove in and out through most of the north western states. On this trip we also went up to Canada. We didn’t spend very long there, just a day I think but it was a pretty cool experience. We went and saw Victoria Gardens and Larry was too lazy to walk so we got him a wheelchair at the entrance. Half way through the park we came to a very long stair case. Some nice tourist saw Larry at the top and just as he was about to get out of the wheel chair to walk they lifted him up wheel chair and all and carried him all the way down the staircase. It was hilarious.
2. Mexico (Winter 1996) When I was in fifth grade all of us younger kids went to a private school named Reid School. It was part of the Seventh Grade curriculum (Leslee’s Grade) to study the Mayan culture. As part of their study there was a trip planned down to the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico. My mom was supposed to go as a chaperone but last minute had to drop out, since it was too late to get a refund for the trip I got to go instead. We spent a whole week busing around the Mexican countryside visiting ancient ruins, swimming in underground caves, and chasing armadillos through the jungle. We also got to spend a couple days at a resort in Cancun. I wish I had been older when I took this trip so that I could more fully appreciate the beauty of the Mayan Culture, that is why I want to go back someday.
(Spring 2005) This time I was down there for a family vacation to Cabo San Lucas. It was a little bit to touristy for me but my favorite part was when Leslee, Beth and I (Wayne was with us too) went for a Sunday drive and found a small village a few miles out of town. The people there lived in these tiny shacks and the kids were running around in just their underwear and no shoes. There was a soccer field there where the kids had a game going. We stopped to watch for a little bit and then continued on. There were some really cute kids that we took some pictures of.
3. Hong Kong (Feb 2006) On our way over to China we got to spend two days in Hong Kong. Although Hong Kong is technically a part of China, autonomously it is a country in and of its self. Thus I am counting it as a separate country. While we were there we got to do baptisms in the Hong Kong temple, see a floating fishing village, ride a bus to the highest peak which overlooks the whole city, and see a laser show on the bay.
4. China (Feb-June 2006) I went and spent four and a half months living in Kunming China teaching English to little kindergarten aged kids. I went with a group of 13 other girls including my sister Leslee and my friend Amber. While we were over there we had a foreign coordinator named Colin who helped us with pretty much everything. He has become one of my best friends, we talk on the computer all the time and we are working on getting him to come to America. While I was in China I got to visit Shanghai, Guilin, Dali, Langzhou, the First Bend in the Yangtze River and many other exciting places.
5. Thailand (June 2006,) School finished a few weeks earlier in China than it was supposed to (they loved changing the schedule last minute on us, it was a pretty common occurrence) so my friends Jessica and Lindsay and I decided we were going to go do some backpacking down in southeast Asia. In Thailand we spent a night in Bangkok before continuing on to Cambodia. We then returned a few days later to fly down to Phuket and spend the rest of our stay sitting on the beach and seeing some sites. Our one night in Bangkok was spent shopping at the street market behind our hostel and exploring the several different temples that could be found within a few blocks. Our time in Phuket was spent sitting on the beach as I mentioned as well as riding elephants, going snorkeling, and exploring deserted islands.
(May-Oct 2011) I’ve been living in Thailand with my brother in law’s family for two months now. I haven’t had a whole lot of time to travel too far from Bangkok due to work but I’ve still been able to do lots of cool stuff. Updates on the overall awesomeness of living here to come later.
6. Cambodia (June 2006, July 2011) My sister Andrea had recently been on a trip to Southeast Asia and she told us that Angkor Wat in Cambodia was not to be missed. So, when Jessica, Lindsay, and I planned our trip to Thailand we included a short detour to Cambodia. We flew into the capitol of Phnom Phen, went to church, and then hopped on a bus to Siem Reap which is the nearest town to Angkor Wat. Angkor Wat has to be one of the most amazing things I’ve seen in my life.
7. Brazil (Feb 2007-Jul 2008, April 2011) I lived in Brazil while I was serving a mission for the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. While I was there I had the opportunity to learn the language and immerse myself in the culture on a daily basis.
(April, 2011) Shortly after my graduation my mother and I had the opportunity to return to Brazil. While we were there we visited the members I worked with while I was one my mission as well as visited other parts of Brazil including Iguassu Falls and Rio De Janiero.
8. Costa Rica (Aug 2009) One day I was hanging out at my frien Mike Marrets apartment at BYU. They were talking about scuba diving which brought up the fact that I had ALWAYS wanted to go to Costa Rica. “We should go!” I told them…So that summer we did. The traveling party included my sisters Leslee and Beth as well as our friends Candace Jones, Mike Marrett, and Eric Thomas. We spent about a week total in Costa Rica hoping from one place to the next including, Monte Verde, San Jose, …..
9. Panama (Aug 2009) This was also a part of the above mentioned trip. The only place we went to in Panama was and archipelago of Islands named Bocas Del Torro off the north eastern coast. From our hostel it was easy to catch a boat which could take us to any of the other small islands surrounding ours. We spend the whole day just sitting on the beach and doing our own thing. It was lots of fun.
10. U.K. (May 6 2010) My sister Andrea says I can’t really claim the UK because technically I was only there on a layover on my way to and from Uganda. I beg to differ though since I had enough time to see a broadway play (wicked) as well as visit Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, and Westminister Abbey. So, I think it counts.
11. Uganda(May-July 2010) I spent the summer in Uganda working with an organization called HELP international. While I was there I lived in a tiny house with up to 20 (the number of people varied) other college students. It was the adventure of a lifetime. Days were spent helping the locals build a mushroom house, plant gardens, gain business skills, or just playing with the orphans. I also had the opportunity to go on an African safari, repel a 100 meter waterfall, and visit the war torn countryside of Gulu while I was there.
12. Argentina (May 2011) I didn’t spend much time in Argentina, just a couple of quick trips over the boarder while I was visiting Iguassu Falls in Brazil with my mom. Mostly we just went there to see the Argentinian side of the falls and to do a little bit of shopping.
13. Laos (July 2011). My first adventure truly out on my own. Crossing the boarder from Thailand I hopped on a two day boat ride down the Mekong river to Luang Prabang where I bathed elephants in the river and went cliff jumping at the waterfalls. From there I hopped on a mini-bus down to Vang Vieng, a tiny little village that wouldn't exist except for the hippie backpackers who go there to tube the river and drink copias amounts of beer at the riverside bars. Even without the beer this may be one of the funnest things I've ever done while traveling. 
14. Philippines (August 2011) - Hung out on the island of Boracay. Most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. Crystal clear blue waters. Didn't do much but chill on the beach. Did go snorkeling and sailing one day. That was pretty fun. For my birthday I went to the neighbor island of Iloilo to meet up with a member who I had been introduced to through a member in Bangkok. He took me to this secluded beach about an hour hike off the beaten path. It was this quite little bay with no one around for miles (probably not the safest thing to do with a guy you don't even know but I trusted the member in Bangkok). Best part was that at night it was pitch black but when you through rocks in the water there were little micro-organisms that grow like glow sticks when agitated. 
15. Malaysia (Both Borneo and Mainland) (Aug & Sept 2011) Spent a week living in a wood hut in the jungle searching for the elusive Bornean Orangutan. Hung out in Kota Kinabalu. Wondered the streets of Kuala Lumpur, and spent a week in the oldest rain forest in the world hanging out with local tribes and learning how to drive a motorized canoe up river. 
16. Brunei (September 2011) Hung out in Brunei Darasalum visiting the many different mosques. Took a boat up river to visit the floating village and search for Probiscus monkey's which can only be found in Borneo. 
17. Bermuda (May 2012) Went to Bermuda for a work trip with Dad, Thomas, and Larry. It was raining most of the time so we didn't get out and do much. We did get to rent scooters for one day though and ride around the island with some friends visiting different beaches. It was pretty awesome. 
18. Guatemala (February 2013) Backpacking with Traci and Allison. Went all over the country including the ruins in Tikal, caves in the middle of nowhere Lanquin, and the beautiful lago de Atitlan. 
19. Switzerland (May 2013)
20. Italy (May 2013)
21. Greece (May 2013)
22. Turkey (May 2013)
23. Croatia (May 2013)
24. Israel  (June 2013) 
25. Palestine (June 2013) It should be a country. 

Goal #16 – Read at least 3,000 books
1. Book of Mormon
2. Eyes of a stranger
3. Message in a bottle
4. War and Peace
5. Les Miserables
6. Pride and Prejudice
7. The Chronicles of Narnia
8. The adventures of Huckleberry Finn
9. Lord of the Flies
10. Jane Eyre
11. The Grapes of Wrath
12. The Great Gatsby
13. To Kill a Mockingbird
14. Three Cups of Tea
15. Finder’s Keepers
16. The Da Vinci Code
17. The Hound of the Baskervilles
18. The Call of the wild
19. Anne of Green Gables
20. King of the Wind
21. Mere Christianity
22. Phantom Tollbooth
23. Stand for something
24. Invisible Women
26. Ariana
27. Persuasion
28. The Lost Symbol
29. Condoleeza Rice’s Memior
30. Half the Sky
31. Safiah’s Smile
32. The Blue Sweater
33. Under the Overpass
35. Wuthering Heights
36. Wildflowers of Terazin
37. Mother Theresa’s Biography
38. Sarah
39. Messiah
40. Jesus the Christ
41. The Giver
42. The Jew with the Iron Cross
43. Rich Man Poor Man 
45. 

Goal #21 Live in At Least 10 Different Countries for At Least 3 Months Each.
1. Kunming, China
2. Goiania, Brasil
3. Lugazi, Uganda
4. Bangkok, Thailand

Goal #30 Visit All 50 States
1. Utah
2. California
3. Arizona
4. Nevada
5. Oregon
6. Washington
7. Montana
8. Wyoming
9. Idaho
10. Colorado
11. Florida – Summer ‘04
12. New York – Summer ‘04
13. New Jersey – Summer ‘04
14. Maryland – Spring ‘99, Fall '11
15. Virginia – Spring ‘99, Fall '11
16. Massachusettes - Fall '11
17. Pennsylvania - Fall '11
18. Rhode Island - Fall '11

Goal #34 Visit 75 Different Temples
1. Salt Lake City
2. West Jordan
3. Draper
4. Logan
5. Bountiful
6. Newport Beach
7. Washington D.C.
8. New York
9. Campinis, Brasil
10. Sao Paulo, Brasil
11. Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
12. Hong Kong
13. St George
14. Idaho Falls
15. Los Angeles
16. Manti
17. Provo
18. Mt Timpanogas 
19. Redlands

Goal #88 Spend a month in the Holy Lands
1 Week spent June 2013 



3 comments:

  1. Larry and I were goofing off (at Victoria Gardens) but it was me in the wheel chair that got carried down the stairs . . . embarrassing to say the least. That's when I learned not to imitate the handi-capped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've only read 37 books?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've never ridden a camel??

    ReplyDelete